BDO Offices are main operational wing of the Government for the developmental administration of rural Bengal. At the Block Level the Block Development Officer is the Head of the Block Offices.
- Office Administration: Disposing Dak, checking attendance, matters related to leave, tours & travels, docketing of papers, files, latest Government Orders on job charts & staff posted in Block, Government Orders on recruitment, Drawing and Disbursing Officer(DDO), maintenance & custodian of cash-books and different registers, giving Annual Confidential Report/Performance Reports of subordinate officers/staff, facing audits.
- Executive Officer of the Panchayat Samity for Developmental Work, Social Welfare: Preparation of Annual Action Plan, implementing developmental and poverty alleviation schemes. BDO has to lead the whole Panchayat Samity. Majority of Panchayat Samiti members and Karmadhyakshas are less qualified, lack leadership qualities and ill-motivated. BDO has to cooperate with them beyond normal limit and enhance their involvement to the Panchayat Samity administration through active participation.
- Executive Magistrate of the Block: A section of the population do not have faith in police administration. As local Magistrate BDO has to listen to their grievances. Maintaining close liaison with police administration, and redressing the grievances of the people, the faith of the people can be reposed on Magistracy. On common Law and Order problems BDOs have to prompt to guide police and people by reaching the troubled spot.
- Inspector of Gram Panchayats: Under section 205 of West Bengal Panchayat Act-1973, BDO has to regular inspection of Gram Panchayats.
- Crisis Manager: As Crisis Manager, BDO has to take prompt and appropriate decision at the appropriate time. Relief and rescue operations during natural calamities, election-related exigencies, serious Law and Order problems along with many other unforeseen grave problems to be handled carefully with utmost precision.
List of Officers/ staff posted at BDO Office:
Extension officers/Junior Engineers & others
Joint Block Development Officers
Inspector of Co-operative Societies (CI)
Inspector of Minimum Wages (I.M.W.)
Industry Development Officer (I.D.O.)
Fishery Extension Officer (F.E.O)
Savings Development Officer (S.Dv.O.)
Social Welfare Officer (S.W.O)
Block Relief Officer (B.R.O.)
Panchayat Development Officer (P.D.O.)
Panchayat Audit & Accounts Officer (P.A & A.O.)
Inspector Backward Class Welfare
Sub-Assistant Engineer [S.A.E.(NREP/BPC/RWS/WRDD/Relief)]
Block Livelihood Development Officer
Assistant Agricultural Extension Officer(Asstt. A.E.O.)
Lady/ Extension Officer of Mass Education( LEOME/EOME)
Cashier-cum- store keeper
Gram Sevaks/Gram Sevikas
Orderly Peon to BDO
Panchayat Samiti Clerk
Data Entry Operator
Orderly Peon of BRO
Anchal Dev. Worker / Anchal Prog. Worker
Lower Division Clerk (Planning)
Deep tubewell Operator
D.T.W. Asstt. Operator
Water Transmission Assistant
Operator, River Lift Irrigation
Asstt. Operator, R.L.I
Fishery attendant - 'D' Group
Fisheries Dev. Assistant - 'C' group.
Accounts Clerk (RWP/JRY)
Asst. Director Agriculture ((Erstwhile A.D.O.)
Block Livestock Development officer (BLDO)
Block Land & Land Reforms Officer (B.L. & L.R.O.)
Block Medical Officer of Health(B.M.O.H.)
Sub-Inspector/Inspector of Food & Supplies (S.I.F.S.)
Sub-Inspector of Schools [S.I.(P.E.)]
A.I. of Secondary Schools or his/her representative(S.I.)
Officer-in-charge, Police station (O/C P.S.)
Child Development Project Officer (C.D.P.O.)
Addl. District Sub-Registrar (A.D.S.R.)
Forest Ranger/Beat Officer, Social Forestry /Territorial Forestry Range.
Block Youth Officer (B.Y.O.)
Station Superintendent, W.B.S.E.D.C.L.
Block Sanitary Inspector (B.S.I.)
BDO is the nodal officer of the block. In this regard a Order was issued on 7th October, 2005, by the then Chief Secretary to the Government of West Bengal( No. 615(52)-PAR(AR)/O/1P-1/2005 Dated,7/10/2005).
It should be noted here:
- The most important works as BDO beside office administration, Law & Order are election and disaster management
- Sub Divisional Officer(SDO) is the immediate controlling officer of BDO and it is necessary to inform all important matters to SDO.
- BDO will submit its Self Appraisal Report to SDO.
- Before leaving Block Head Quarter, it is mandatory to obtain station leave permission from SDO.
- For details, Read More.....
Please click in the link below for know about role of BDO as Executive Officer of Panchayat Samity.
BDO as Executive Officer.....
Please Note: After discussion with senior WBCS(Exe) officers and Block Development Officers we write an article "TIPS FOR BDO: Friendly Advice". Please click the link for more details: TIPS FOR BDO...